business study programs are intended to provide in depth knowledge of how businesses operate and to equip students with tools for effective business management. it is an extremely diverse subject that covers almost all functions of a typical business such as marketing, accounts, human resources and ethics. although the curriculum is generic across all functions, in most high level business study programs you can choose to specialize in any particular area of your interest. a degree in business studies cultivates in students critical thinking and analytical skills, problem solving and decision making skills and effective communication skills among other things. all these skills and attributes are highly valued by employers and therefore a degree in business studies offers excellent career prospects.
business study degrees
there are commonly three types of business studies degrees available:
- associates degree: a two to three years program which introduces basic business administration techniques to students.
- bachelor's degree: a bachelor's degree is an extension of an associate's degree which involves slightly more advanced course work and may also include internships.
- masters degree: these are advanced post graduate programs normally one to two years in duration. almost all recognized universities require professional working experience as a mandatory admission criterion in a master's program.
most business study degrees offer the following core courses:
- corporate organizational behavior and structure
- economics, accounting and finance
- human resource management
- information technology
- law, management sciences
at the undergraduate level, emphasis is laid on sound understanding of each of the above mentioned courses. at the post-graduate level, it is assumed that students are familiar with the core concepts, so greater emphasis is laid on case studies and actual problem solving. most master's programs require specialization in a particular business function such as marketing, human resources or accounting and finance.
admission requirement for bachelors in business study programs vary with different schools and colleges, but most of them usually require the following:
- high school diploma with a minimum specified grade point average (gpa),
- clearance of one or more of college admission examinations such as sat (scholastic aptitude test),, act (american college test), etc.
- essays and interviews
similarly, admission requirement for master's programs vary with schools. here is a list of the most common requirements:
- acceptable score in gmat (graduate management admission test),
- relevant and significant work experience
- academic transcripts from a successfully completed undergraduate degree
- essays, letters of recommendation
with a degree in business study, you have the option of working practically anywhere, whether it is in a private company, government organization, non-profit organization or multinational corporations. with an undergraduate degree, the average salary is around $70,000 a year. depending on the ranking and reputation of the university, master's graduates can earn in excess of $120,000 a year.